For over 50 years, the Rack Manufacturers Institute (RMI) has been evolving consensus standards for warehouse racks and industrial steel pallet racks, flow rack, and structural rack. In 2002 the industry developed its latest and most comprehensive consensus document RMI 2002 – Subsequently adopted as ANSI MH16.1 – 2004. The document includes seismic design provisions and has been accepted as the default standard for the new International Building Code and NFPA Building Codes.
General operating characteristics of the Program include:
- Licensee must be a manufacturer of Industrial Steel Warehouse Storage Racks or Welded Wire Rack Decking (as defined in the by-laws of RMI);
- Licensee may manufacture their products anywhere in the world, provided that the products are used in USA;
- RMI membership is NOT required to receive an R-Mark License;
- R-Mark can only be applied to product that conforms to and within the scope of the RMI/ANSI Standards as approved by the general membership of RMI;
- Licensing procedures/guidelines/frequency are developed, determined and directed by membership of RMI;
- R-Mark may only be applied by a cognizant USA Registered Professional Engineer employed by the Licensee.